This week I did something I promised myself I would never do: I dropped my Naked 2 palette on the floor. ::collective gasp!!:: I know, I know, it was an accident! The moment it slipped from my black makeup bag time stood still as I tried to catch it, but failed as it hit the ground face down and heartbroken. I quickly picked it up to assess the damages and thankfully everything was still in one piece. Now, some of you may be thinking, “What’s the big whoop about dropping your makeup?” and I am here to tell you. In addition to the higher price for this glorious and majestic eyeshadow set, this one is special to me. It’s like the baby of my makeup and the most used, loved, and needed makeup thing I have currently. Also, I bought this with my birthday gift money after promising Dan that it would keep me set for the rest of the year…which so far it has! I know I let it down by dropping it. I let myself down. Thank goodness for the apparently sturdy tin that it’s in…To that tin I say, “I hope you are as faithful and strong as my phone after it gets a good toss!” Also, to anyone out there that has dropped their beloved palettes and were not so lucky: My condolences. (All of the eyeshadow from this look comes from the Naked 2 palette, but it’s not necessary to have that as long as the colors are similar. =))
Okay, on to the makeup look!! Since this is Summerfest week here in Wisconsin, (super awesome music festival!) I thought now would be the perfect time for this Gold Summer/Festival Look! Anything gold, shiny, and bronzy reminds me of sunshine and warmth and all things happy like summer and live music. You’ll notice that this look focuses on the eyes mainly, while the rest of the face is more neutral. I think if you have a good eyeshadow base it will last all day without bothersome touch-ups! You’ll see that I only used a CC Cream instead of a full-fledged foundation for a lighter feel throughout the day. This particular CC Cream (which called “Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+” by IT Cosmetics) has, as it’s title states, SPF in it which is greatly needed during the hot months! I also paired this look with a no-fuss lip gloss so touch-ups are a breeze and don’t require a mirror. The LAST thing you want is to be worrying about makeup meltdown while enjoying your favorite bands.
This look was also personally tested out by yours truly at a festival (Cheesefest! Yes. You know you’re from Wisconsin when…:)) and it held up wonderfully! I paired it with a headband and loved how little work it was for my hair that day. Messy is better. I got a few compliments on the “look” from strangers and felt like that was a good indicator to post about it here! It was a little new for me, but I’m happy I tried it and would encourage you all to step out of your comfort zone and try something new!
FYI: If you do decide to wear a headband like I did, don’t forget sunscreen on your face. Really. The last thing you want is flower tan lines going across your head for the next few days. Ha!
So here is my step-by-step for the eyeshadow:
1. On a clean eye, apply an eye primer (such as Urban Decay’s Primer Potion) so your makeup will hold up in the heat! No makeup meltdown! After that apply a nude matte eyeshadow (Foxy) all over to set the primer.
2. (Optional) I then smudged a white eyeshadow base on my lid so that the gold I put over it would POP!
3. Apply a gold shimmer eyeshadow (I LOVE UD’s Half Baked) on the lid of the eyes. Take a shimmery cork color (Bootycall) and, with a fluffy brush, highlight the inner corner of your eye and your brow bone.
4. Take your brown matte color (Tease) and blend your little heart out between the crease. Clean up any harsh spots by also blending more of your cream matte (Foxy) at any point above it.
5. Apply a dark shimmery bronze (Snakebite) to the outer V of your eye and blend.
6. Take your brush and create even more definition on the outer corner of your eye with a deep brown color (Busted).
7. Tightline the upper lash line with a gel eyeliner and apply a black liquid liner above with a tiny wing to draw your eyes up and back.
8. On the lower lash line apply the gold shadow (Half Baked) and then bronze shadow (Snakebite) on the outer lash line.
9. Now here’s the step that kicks the look up a notch, although it’s optional it really completes it. Take a purple eyeliner and line your lower waterline. It gives the look added definition and extra color! Then apply a gold crystal liner in the lower inner corner of your eye. (I got this NYX one for around $3-$4 and can’t stop using it!)
10. Curl eyelashes and apply mascara. If you also want to add lashes, go ahead! And then you’re all done!
Any other products I used for my face are listed down below. Let me know if you try this or a variation! Or if there is anything you’d like to see, please comment above! (The link to comment is to the left of the title.)
Have FUN you little free spirit, you!
Products used (in order):
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion- Original
Urban Decay Naked 2 palette: I used the colors Foxy, Bootycall, Half Baked, Tease, Snakebite, and Busted
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on pencil in Voodoo
NYX Liquid Crystal Liner in Crystal Gold
IT Cosmetics No-Tug Waterproof Gel Eyeliner
IT Cosmetics Hello Lashes Extensions mascara
Almay Liquid Liner in Black
Ardell Eyelashes in Demi 120
Duo Dark-tone Eyelash Adhesive
Other products used:
IT Cosmetics “Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+”
IT Cosmetics “Bye Bye Under Eye in Neutral Medium
Becca Bronzing Skin Perfector (I used as a cream bronzer on targeted areas of my face to get a nice glow)
IT Cosmetics “Bye Bye Pores” Powder
NYX Butter Gloss in Vanilla Cream Pie